2020-2021 PTA Volunteer Opportunities
7/28/2020 3:12 pm
Want to get more involved with the PTA? Our PTA is looking to fill a number of critical volunteer opportunities. Read more to see what's available and how you can participate...Read More
A Note from CPES School Counselor, Lisa Lujan
6/3/2020 10:50 am
Currently, we are in the midst of some of the most difficult times we will ever experience in our lifetime. The world around us, and perhaps even more directly in our own homes, is filled with anxiety, sadness and fear. As adults, we struggle to cope, yet we are more equipped than our children. Whether your children are concerned about the pandemic, recent events in the news concerning racial inequalities, food security, their friendships or their parents’ job- please utilize the tips below to support them through this time.
- They will always tell you what they need. As adults we like to talk-just listen.
- Answer their questions honestly using language that they can understand.
- Only answer what they are asking – do not expand or add to. They will let you know if they need more information.
- It’s ok to tell kids “I don’t have an answer to that.” Or “I don’t know when this will be over.” Then follow it up with “How does that make you feel?”
- It’s ok to tell kids you feel worried or sad but not specifics about what is making you feel that way. Focus more on how you help yourself feel better – concrete examples.
- Less is more. Don’t over expose young children to current events. Limit watching the news with them around or having in-depth adult conversations where they can overhear.
- Stick to what you know and what you can control. Avoid talking about what you can’t control. (Example- Don’t discuss running out of supplies or what you would do if you get sick. Do discuss prevention- washing hands, social distancing.)
- Have conversations. Be proactive when you can. Allow children to make connections to current events either in their own lives or others. (For example : Everyone has the same rules, rights and privileges at school. It doesn’t matter what you look like.)
- Check In. Do a feelings temperature check at least once a week. Set aside a time in your day where your child feels comfortable having these hard conversations.
- Avoid talking about hard topics at bedtime! It is natural for that quiet, snuggly time before bed to seem like a good time to talk, but after you walk away- they may lay in the dark dwelling on what you just discussed.
- Remind children (especially older ones!) that their peers do not always have all the facts. A lot of misinformation is shared peer to peer. Encourage them to talk to you or a trusted adult.
- Build routines for your children! They need them even when our traditional routines are no longer happening. Create new ones. Give them new responsibilities, chores or habits. Keep a sense of normalcy within your home even when the world is anything but normal. Children thrive with routines and are able to handle bigger feelings when they have them.
- Ask for help. Recognize the signs of anxiety in children. (Aggression, anger, clinginess, Seeking reassurance)
FCPS offers the following resources:
Please don’t hesitate to contact me if I can be of assistance.
Lisa K Bowes Lujan
5/14/2020 3:33 pm
The PTA is hosting a virtual building exhibition for students during the last two weeks of May! Students who would like to participate will build either an animal or a building using whatever materials they have at home. This can mean blocks, LEGO, paper, toilet paper rolls, cardboard boxes, newspaper, whatever you have - be creative! After students complete their project, they are invited to attend a grade level Zoom meeting (with their caregiver providing oversight) where they present their creation to other students, and tell everyone a little about what they made using questions the PTA sends ahead of time.
If your student would like to participate, please click here to RSVP to receive the link to the virtual meeting. The virtual meeting schedule is:
Kindergarten, 1st & 2nd grades - Thursday, May 21st, 2:00 - 3:30
3rd & 4th grades - Tuesday, May 26th, 1:30 - 3:00
5th & 6th grades - Thursday, May 28th, 1:30 - 3:00
If your child would like to participate and has a conflict with scheduled office hours, please send an email to let us know, so we can work to accommodate their participation.
New Information for May
5/4/2020 4:17 pm
Yearbooks are on sale now! Please click here for more information and to purchase your yearbook. All purchased yearbooks will be mailed to student homes in mid- to late June.
The Tuesday, May 19th, at 7:30 p.m., PTA meeting will be virtual. Officer elections will be held for the 2020-2021 school year. Additionally, we'll have a virtual chat about this new way of learning and living. Mrs. Le and other staff will be in attendance. To receive the link to attend, you must RSVP. Please click here to RSVP.Read More
FCPS Meal Distribution
3/18/2020 11:00 pm
New Information: The CPES Grab & Go meal site has moved to Thoreau Middle School, 2505 Cedar Lane in Vienna. The hours are 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. All children under the age of 17, regardless if they are enrolled in FCPS schools, may receive a free breakfast and lunch and adults 18 and older can purchase a meal for $2.
FCPS is transitioning many of the grab and go meal sites at school locations to curbside service starting Friday, March 27, 2020.
Curbside meal pick-up stations are generally located in the bus lanes at the schools or in the kiss and ride area. Look for the canopy tent along with Food and Nutrition Services staff, who will deliver meals directly to vehicles.
Walk-ups are still welcome at all sites. Walkers are asked to use school sidewalks to safely navigate their walk to the pick-up stations.
Breakfast and lunch meals are available together and wherever meals are being distributed.
As a reminder, it is important to follow social distancing guidelines. Be sure to stand a minimum of 6 feet apart from others and practice regular hand washing, including prior to leaving a residence to pick-up meals, upon returning home, and before consuming food.Read More
Box Tops Fall Winner
1/31/2020 11:55 am
Congratulations to Alex G. and family for winning the Fall 2019 Box Tops Contest with a whopping 223 box tops! Other top earners were Luiz P. (160), Anna G. (79), and the Sweeneys (65). We earned almost $150.00 for CPES fall!
Thank you to everyone for participating!
The Spring contest has begun. Due date for submissions is Friday, May 29, 2020. Click here for more details.
Fall is a busy time!
11/2/2019 4:15 pm
There is a lot going on in the life of our school, right now!
We're more than halfway through the Cardinal Campaign and have already raised more than $10,000! With less than two weeks remaining, we hope to meet our goal of $15,000. If you have not yet made your donation, please click here to learn more and to donate.
Tuesday, November 12th, is an important day at CPES! Actually, we should say it's a BIG day because we're going to make a BIG SALAD! The PTA is partnering with Real Food For Kids and Chef Jon Krinn, owner and chef of award winning Vienna restaurant Clarity, to bring a giant salad to the students during lunch. Chef Jon will talk to the kids about exploring different vegetables, making healthy food choices, and living a healthy lifestyle. While all of the vegetables will be prepped by the culinary academy at Marshall High School, we still need help setting-up, distributing samples, and cleaning-up. If you're interested in volunteering for a portion of lunchtime, please click here.
The other important event on November 12th, at 7:00 p.m., is the PTA meeting with a special presentation from Kristy Vitter, Fairfax County Public Health Nurse, about a growing epidemic that is affecting children across the country: vaping. Some may think this is a middle school or high school issue, but it is impacting elementary school children, too. In Fairfax County an estimated 1 in 5 children have “vaped” in the past 30 days.
Research shows that parents are the number one influence on their kids. Parents who share facts and express disapproval of vaping can help prevent their kids from starting. Let’s help stop the vaping epidemic in its tracks. Join us to learn what vaping is, what e-cigarette devices look like and how they work, how kids are hiding this from adults, and tips on talking with our children.
Join the PTA
9/15/2019 5:06 pm
Now is the time to join the PTA! The CPES PTA focuses on four key areas:
- Educational enrichment;
- Building community;
- Communicating and informing our families; and
- Supporting our school.
By joining the PTA, you support a number of activities that our school relies on simply by being a member. The CPES PTA organizes after-school activities and cultural assemblies, education for parents on child-related topics, Hallowingo, and many other fun events. The PTA funds all field trip transportation, appreciation weeks for teachers and staff, our community garden, as well as a whole lot more. The volunteer power of our PTA provides room parents, library support, the yearbook, and much, much more. By being a paid member, you contribute to making all of this happen! Please click here to join us!
Welcome back to CPES!
8/28/2019 4:28 pm
Welcome back to school! The PTA Is looking forward to another fantastic year!
This website contains a lot of useful information, as well as allows you to register your child for after school activities, purchase spirit wear and a whole lot more! Please take a moment to either create a website account if you are a new CPES family or complete your annual verification if you're a returning family that used the website last year. Simply click the "Login" button above to log in to your account and verify your information.
The PTA is excited to announce we won two awards for the 2018-2019 school year! We were honored by the Fairfax County Council of PTAs as one of the top PTAs supporting family engagement and we were selected by Virginia PTA as the top PTA for family engagement for the entire state! To celebrate, the PTA will be providing pizza at our back to school picnic on Friday, September 6th, from 5:00 - 7:00 p.m. Kustard & Co. will be generously providing delicious custard to help us celebrate, too! Please join us!
Be sure to watch this space and our Facebook page to find out the latest happenings with CPES PTA!Read More
Lend A Helping Hand
Want to get more involved? Subscribe to our mailing lists.
- Friday, August 7
- Tuesday, August 11
- Tuesday, September 8
- Monday, October 12
- Friday, October 30
- Monday, November 2
- Tuesday, November 3
- Wednesday, November 11